Friday, December 16, 2011

Trends to watch

My take on the latest trends to hit Belize and a look back on some that we should have just ignored.

Today I've got Snapbacks & Feather Jewelry and I look back on the Throwback Skirt






Snapbacks


I read a post the other day on BelizeHottestSpot.com about snapbacks becoming a big trend in Belize. “Snapbacks” is a term used to refer to adjustable caps, you know, like your dad use to wear. These were big in the 1980s (and I think it was just called a cap then) but got played out when “fitted hats” came on the scene. But now they’re back! And everybody and their grandfathers want one for Christmas. I can kinda see the appeal, its vintage which I like… and because it’s adjustable any cap can fit virtually any size head; not like fitted caps that go by specific sizes. Most of the ones I’ve seen are associated with a sport’s team or popular brand and worn by a hip-hop celebrity. It’s a very urban look, not for everyone. And don’t even bother wearing one out if you don’t have a sick pair of sneakers on to match (I’m just assuming hats and sneakers are to males what purses and heels are to females).  I haven’t seen any stores with them in Belize City but I’m sure some smart person will capitalize on this trend soon.



Feather Jewelry


Now these I’ve seen everywhere, and there’s no denying that it’s very popular in Belize right now.  I first saw the earrings on Basketball Wives and thought... that’s creative! Then I went downtown Belize City the following day and it was everywhere. Not only earrings – headbands, necklaces and bracelets.  In my quest to develop some kind of personal style, I’m inclined to at least try out new trends so I gave in to the hype and bought a few pieces for me and my cousin. I think I’ve worn the headband out once and it was never to be seen again. Maybe it was the colors that didn’t match “my look” cause they were so not working for me. I admire the women that can pull it off beautifully. I’m not too crazy about them, and it can take a turn for the worse if we’re not careful i.e I saw a girl in Brodies with green feathers on her fake eyelashes like this… ummm, do you mama.


A look back….
Remember the throwback skirt? Ladies… what were we thinking!? Denim pleated skirts that were so short it left nothing up to the imagination. Looking back I can’t even think of one appealing thing about them but I had two *shame face*.

I searched for throwback skirt on the net and this is the best Google could come up with:



Let me know what you guys think of these and other trends in Belize.